New Guidelines for Entry to the Galapagos Islands for International Tourists.
In response to the COVID-19 health crisis, a “Corridor for Safe Tourism to Galapagos” has been put in place by the Ecuadorian Authorities. This corridor came into effect on 1st August 2020 and commercial flights to the Galapagos Islands resumed on 3rd August 2020.
International travelers who wish to visit the Galapagos Islands will need to conform to the following requirements:
1. To travel to Ecuador tourists must present a negative Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test result for COVID-19, taken maximum 96 hours before their travel date. This must be presented on arrival in Quito or Guayaquil airport.
2. On arrival in Ecuador tourists will need to fill out a Traveler Health Declaration Form provided by the authorities.
3. Travelers will also be subject to a further PCR test when they arrive. This test will be undertaken in a laboratory located in the airport. The cost of this test will need to be covered by the traveler.
4. Travelers will then need to spend at least 48 hours in a local hotel in Quito or Guayaquil, until they receive the result of their PCR test. If they receive a negative result they can continue to travel to Galapagos.
To continue to travel to Galapagos travelers will also need the following documentation:
1. A “Safe Passage” document issued by the Ministry of Tourism which will exempt visitors from the current 14-day quarantine. The local tour operator or hotel is responsible for arranging this safe passage document.
2. Obligatory medical travel insurance.
3. Transit Control Card, a valid passport (6 months or more) and return airline tickets to the islands.
Travelers should also be aware that the use of face coverings is obligatory in Ecuador. When travelling it will be common for them to have to pass through shoe sanitizing trays, have their temperature checked and they will be asked to disinfect their hands with hand sanitizer regularly.
Is Galapagos on your travel wish list? Check out our 5 day Galapagos Island Hopping Tour.